Frequently Asked Questions
What is Women’s March Global?
We are the spirit of that day - 21st Jan 2017 when millions of women and allies, many who would never before have called themselves feminists or women’s human rights defenders, poured out on to the streets because we knew we had to make ourselves seen and heard.
We are now a network of 100+ Chapters and thousands of Members worldwide who continue to take action every day in our local communities to advance women’s human rights.
Guided by the values of collaboration, radical empathy, and solidarity, we prioritise mobilisation across focus areas to build coalitions with truly grassroots organisers. Our goal is to amplify and support their work.
We marched, now what?
Our work isn’t done.
- There are only 6 countries in the world where women have equal rights.
- Authoritarian leaders are stripping rights from LGBTI+ persons.
- 1 in 3 women will face sexual violence in their lifetime.
- In Bangladesh, out of 297 cases of reported violence against Indigenous women in 3 years, 0 were prosecuted. Most of the perpetrators were non-indigenous.
- 65% of countries place severe limits on abortion or do not allow it at all.
- It’s still unsafe for women in many countries to speak out against oppressive regimes and human rights abuses.
We invite you to take action in your own community. What do YOU want to change? We know it’s not always easy, but we hope you will. Together we can create a space for women to unite and empower each other. Let’s lift up our voice.
How do we create change?
Billions of women worldwide still do not have access to basic human rights. We want to change that. We do this in two ways.
- Local Action. We organise. We march. We speak out. We galvanise. We continue using our voice.
We believe change begins in our own communities: talking to a neighbour, coming together to solve a town or village issue, having tough discussions, or helping someone in need. We see each Women’s March Global Chapter or Member Event as a turning point - an opportunity to advance women’s human rights on a local scale.
Let’s create a million focused points of change.
- Global Movement. As we find our own freedom and power, then we must fight for the collective freedom of all people. While we need to hold corporations, politicians, banks, law enforcement, and policy makers accountable, we also need to work alongside them to create a world that works for everyone. Our Global Campaigns spotlight issues that affect women everywhere. We partner with like-minded organisations and utilise our visibility to advise on, and advocate for legal and cultural change.
Let’s take our seat at the table.
Why Women's March Global?
This movement stands on the shoulders of all the activists who have come before us.
Women’s March Global brings together people from around the world, some who never previously considered themselves feminists or women’s human rights defenders. Now new and seasoned activists unite to solve the most pressing issues locally and globally.
Women’s March Global supports our Community to tell their stories. We expand collective action with the visibility, power, and energy of this movement. The way forward is together.
What is the difference between Women’s March Global and Women’s March?
Women’s March Global and Women’s March (also known as Women’s March, Inc. or Women’s March USA) share a name and an origin point - 21 January 2017. Beyond that, Women's March Global and Women’s March, Inc. are separate organisations with different leadership and different organisational structures. Most importantly, we have different missions.
Women’s March Global predominantly works outside the United States, representing Chapters all around the world, uniting and supporting them to lead in their local communities.
If you have any other questions, please contact us.